Re: Curl and curl.com

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 21:41:32 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

> Why oh why, for reason's sake, has TBL decided to call his new
> client-side Web scripting language curl? This is going to generate all
> sorts of confusion.. :-/

Yes it will.

For those who haven't checked the latest headlines: Tim Berners-Lee is one
of the investors behind the new client-side web-language named CURL. They
run the www.curl.com site. Read all at:

> There can be only one curl.haxx.se.

Our curl was unfortunately not the first curl. There was an MIT project named
curl already before.

An employee at curl.com writes (in the slashdot discussion): "Regardless, by
the time we were aware of cURL, we already had too much invested in our name.
Sorry for the confusion" - as if typing 'curl' in google and press return
doesn't reveal a lot of cURL and libcurl info...

As another interesting side-note, have a look at www.curl.org! ;-)