Re: multithreading in curllib with ssl support

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 11:06:44 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 11 May 2001, T. Bharath wrote:

> From whatever i read in the openssl site on the use of the openssl lib in
> multithreaded applications we have to set a couple of locking functions
> (http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/threads.html#)but i am not sure if
> this has been taken care in the curllib. Any help on this would be
> appreciated

libcurl has not taken care of this.

I fail to see why this is needed in libcurl's case, as we don't share any SSL
stuff across thread borders.

The OpenSSL example code crypto/threads/mttest.c passes one SSL contect to
all threads, making this necessary, but we never do anything like that with
libcurl.

Of course, this is just what I think it looks like. I am not an OpenSSL guru.

If we need to use this in order to use OpenSSL and libcurl multi-threaded, I
think there's room for discussions around how that should be done...