License issues with base64.c in libcurl

From: Andrew Francis <locust_at_familyhealth.com.au>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2001 16:03:05 +0800

Hi everyone

I was looking through the source for libcurl-7.8 and came across the
following license (trimmed for brevity) in base64.h and base64.c:

 * Copyright (c) 1995 - 1999 Kungliga Tekniska Högskolan
 * (Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden).
 * All rights reserved.

 * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
the
 * documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.

This seems to directly contradict the license under which curl is
distributed. (Specifically, the MIT/X license, I haven't waded through
the MPL) Have I missed something? I'd appreciate some clarification on
this.

In any event, I'm taking the safe route and coding up my own base64
routines for release. (They're already mostly done, then it occured to
me to check existing libraries and yank some well-tested code :) I'd be
happy to contribute these to curl if there's actually any doubt
regarding the base64 routines' legality.

--
Andrew Francis
locust_at_familyhealth.com.au