Re: Perl API

From: Sander van Zoest <sander_at_vanZoest.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 4 Aug 2001, Cris Bailiff wrote:

> I do plan for an update to Curl::easy to make a more natural perl-OO style
> interface, whilst keeping the existing interface for backwards compatibility.
> It 'almost but not quite' works with the existing setup, but I couldn't get
> it right quickly enough to make the release last time.
>
> Basically, there should be a new 'struct' which the XS can bless into a new
> 'CurlOO' object, and then all the method calls would hang off that - this is
> necessary to properly support multithreading (whatever kind you're trying to
> run in your perl...), which would break at the moment.

I currently have a wrapper interface named HTTP::Curl that pretty much calls the
routines in HTTP::Curl::Easy and provides a OOP wraper to the existing interface.
I didn't really adjust Curl::easy at all other then rename it. I agree that
doing the adjustments you suggested such as PerlIO and the struct for threading
would better then me doing the OO portion solely in perl.

> If anyone really intends to do a good job on this, I'd love to discuss it
> here, as I'm a heavy user of the perl interface, and wouldn't mind it
> being better at all :-)

I can spend some time on it this weekend and I can show you what I did a
while ago, if thats of interest.

Cheers,

--
Sander van Zoest                                          sander_at_vanzoest.com
High Geek                                         http://Sander.vanZoest.com/