timeouts and multithreading

From: Lucas Adamski <ladamski_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:38:52 -0700

Hello all,

I've made decent progress on my little C++ libcurl project, however I
haven't had much luck figuring out a way to get timeouts to work. I was
going to try taking the tact of killing threads that exceed a certain time
limit, but apparently that's considered a Bad Idea. I wouldn't mind
changing the connect timeouts in the Solaris source code, however I don't
have access to a sun compiler to rebuild. Even then it wouldn't solve
other potential problems such as hung sockets, etc. Has anyone gotten over
this problem yet?
  Lucas.