reading/writing filters

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 14:30:27 +0200 (MET DST)

Yah

I want to remodel the libcurl internals so that we enable chains of filters
on incoming and/or outgoing data.

This is an approach already used by the Apache web server, the neon
http/webdav library and the new slowly growing apr serf library.

The idea would be to more easily add support for
transfer-encodings/decodings. HTTP chunks and gzip support are the most
obvious ones (of which we currently only support HTTP chunked reading).
Hopefully FTP ASCII transfers will fit into this as well.

Each filter would need a trigger and then encode or decode the data passed to
it. There could be a chain of filters on both incoming and outgoing data.

This is very early, I'm only starting to think about it and I just felt I
should ventilate my intentions on the list. Give me your views and ideas.

More on this will follow later.