RE: Unable to retrieve some document header

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 15:21:54 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Yanick Pelletier wrote:

[ what to do when HEAD doesn't work ]

> Hum. Your solution work since i have already test it, but my biggest
> problem it to ask the server for a document that a don't really want, it
> for this reason that the HEAD command exist. So does it is possible for
> curl to check the result of the HEAD command to see if an header is
> returned, if no header is found it can send the GET command to retrieve
> it.

Yes, curl *could* probably be patched into doing this.

But why should curl do this? I don't think curl should or even could (in a
good enough way) add a layer that makes it fix blatant server errors for the
applications.

Why don't you just try NOBODY first and if that doesn't return any header,
you try without it?