Re: Hello!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 08:30:06 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Ben Greear wrote:

> I just found the CURL project and it looks very interesting to me. My
> company builds traffic generators that run on Linux and I plan to use the
> CURL library to implement HTTP and FTP protocols (at least)....

Welcome to our little project!

> One of the things I want to support is rate-limitation. In other words,
> I want to be able to specify (and change at any time) the rate in which
> CURL sends or receives bytes. It would also be nice to have the CURL
> libraries be non-blocking (use select), but that isn't a hard
> requirement...

Well, if you don't want full speed, your custom callbacks can just delay the
operation as much as you want. I don't think we need to add any particular
support for this internally. Or can you explain why we do?

The library is already using select() in the transfer loop, but that might
not be exactly what you was referring to? See also Steve Dekorte's suggested
new API for more advanced select() trickery.