Re: Adding A Speed limiting feature

From: Andrew Francis <locust_at_familyhealth.com.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:39:43 +0800

"Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, SM wrote:
>
> > The rate-limiting feature may be of interest to people using libcurl
> > build apps which perform downloads in the background.
>
> Yes, but we must always ask ourselves if there's a good idea to add
specific
> features to the library that is already possible for an application to
add
> using the standard interfaces. In this case, I think we should go for
this
> latter solution. If the current interface is not good enough for it,
we
> should change that situation.

At one point there was discussion of implementing some sort of "filter"
system, where the data stream was passed through one or more filters
that obey a certain interface, before being passed to the callback
function. So for instance you have something like:

 | curl | ---> | gzip filter | ----> | callback |

I think this would also be an ideal way to implement a speed limiter.

Is the 'filter' idea still on the cards?

(I'm going to have a lot of spare time starting in a few weeks - I'd
love to try and implement this myself if noone else wants to :)

--
Andrew Francis
locust_at_familyhealth.com.au