portability issues

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:33:31 +0100 (MET)

Bluergh

We just received a bug report from a fellow who got some interesting compiler
warnings with his native HP-UX 11.00 compiler when building curl 7.9.1. (The
report was about a compiler error that we already have corrected, but the
subject came to my mind...)

Let's hit the problem right away:

        accept()

What is a correct prototype for this function? Or rather, how are we gonna
find out and adjust the libcurl code to use the one your local system wants
it? Have a look at my simple summary:

  Linux
  int accept(int s, struct sockaddr *addr, int *addrlen);

  Solaris
  int accept(int s, struct sockaddr *addr, socklen_t *addrlen);

  HP-UX (with _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED)
  int accept(int s, struct sockaddr *addr, socklen_t *addrlen);

  HP-UX (plain)
  int accept(int s, struct sockaddr *addr, size_t *addrlen);

Is this anything we _can_ care about?

Is this anything we _want_ to care about?

If so, how?

(Another problematic function is getsockname(), but it seems to appear using
only two different styles.)