Re: Compiling curl on HPUX 11

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 23:35:49 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Cadime wrote:

> I am trying to compile the last curl version on a HP-UX 11 workstation
> using aCC but I have little experience on that.

> Thus, I hope I can compile the tool and contribute to its portability

I appreciate your efforts!

[snip]

> configure: error: Can't work without an existing select() function
>
> Since my select function is defined on <sys/time.h>, seems something
> should be done...

Well, IIRC it tries to use the function in a small program, it doesn't just
search for it in an include file.

> However, if I run CC=cc ./configure it runs successfully

That indicates some problem with your compiler/linker or something in the
first run.

> Then I try to MAKE and...

[snip]

[a bunch of warnings]

These ones are harmless and they are present because HP-UX requires some
#defines set in order to use the "correct" prototypes for a few functions. As
curl doesn't set that #define, HP-UX believes curl is using the functions
wrongly. In my opinon, HP-UX is wrong. ;-)

Yes, one day someone will write a configure test that'll check if that
#define is needed and if so, we'll set it and make the HP-UX compilers happy.

> cc: "ftp.c", line 1918: error 1584: Inconsistent type declaration:
> "Curl_ftpsendf".

This is a mistake, see more details (links) here:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2001-11/0132.html

> Is it extremely needed that I have automake? I didn't modified any file!

No, it isn't needed. You just need to fix the compiler error and then it'll
probably work.