Re: v8 --enable-dream-mode

From: Bjorn Reese <breese_at_mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 18:01:16 +0000

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> With christmas banging on the door, it is time to wish for things to come
> true.

World peace, please.

> always mankind's best friend)? LDAP and DICT support should also be
> re-considered if they are to remain in libcurl or not. Hardly anyone uses
> them (AFAIK).

DICT support can be dropped. Dictionary lookups are done through HTTP
these days. Besides, the DICT RFC has some errors and limitations,
which I had to make non-standard workarounds for. I forwarded my
findings to the authors of the DICT RFC, but never got a reply, which
is another good sign that it is a dead RFC.

OTOH, LDAP support is very useful. We could re-consider the implementation
though. Last I looked, it was implemented via dlopen/dlsym. The main
reason for this was to avoid polluting the libcurl header files with
the names from the LDAP header files (I vaguely recall config.h
conflicts).