Re: OpenSSL ENGINE 2nd version

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:50:50 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Götz Babin-Ebell wrote:

Hey again! ;-)

While applying your patch and reading the new code, I stumbled over this
(again) and I really can't see the use case for these two:

CURLOPT_SSLENGINE

  It sets the engine to use in the curl handle for the upcoming SSL
  connection. Fine.

CURLOPT_SSLENGINE_DEFAULT

  Now, this sets the default engine. Default for what? For all SSL sessions
  universally?

Does this mean that if we use both these options, we don't have to set any of
them in the next one and it'll automaticly use the ENGINE anyway?

I understand we're not to blame for silly OpenSSL design decisions (that sets
global things for a library!), but if we have the CURLOPT_SSLENGINE set for
the handle, why would we ever use the CURLOPT_SSLENGINE_DEFAULT?