Re: userPWD via proxy

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 13:32:17 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, raoul cridlig wrote:

> So I must put user and passwd in FTPurl myself. Why? Is there an
> alternative?

I'm actually not quite sure what the proper behaviour is. I think the current
behaviour is what will work with more HTTP proxies. The http proxy would
otherwise need to get the name + password from the HTTP header and smash it
into its FTP engine. As it is now, it has all the info in the FTP URL.

The whole FTP-over-HTTP-proxy operation is a bit of a weird thing, and I
don't think it is documented/standardized anywhere.

What's the problem with putting the name+password in the URL?