one approach on sharing

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 11:49:14 +0100 (MET)

Hey

I've jotted down my thoughts on data sharing between curl easy handles,
including mutex support. See details in the attachment. Read the rest here
first.

This are mostly things we've talked about already, but I've tried to sum it
all up and present one single take on the entire sharing issue, including
mutex protection for multi-threaded uses.

I like this approach as it solves many issues at once:

 * works for multi-threaded libcurl easy handles
 * works for single-threaded cases too
 * shared data may survive easy handles' life times
 * works for the multi interface without the need for mutexes
 * allows existing applications to easily extend to this
 * keeps the actual mutex implementation outside of libcurl
 * solves the issue on who owns shared resources
 * easy to decide exactly what to share between which handles

As always, ideas aren't worth anything unless they get support and
improvments. Please let the rest of us know what you think about this
approach!

[I'll be away for a few days now, to give you some time to really fill up the
list with your views on this.]