Re: Getting cURL timings

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:46:17 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002, Andy Hudson wrote:

> I am interested to know if cURL can support reading timings (perhaps with
> curl_easy_getinfo) for different stages of a URL request. At present, it
> appears as though cURL will not return a valid timing where a later stage
> in the request has failed. For example, how do we get the name lookup time
> if the url request fails?

Uh. I think my general line of thinking was that if it failed to lookup the
name, there was no point in setting the name resolve time. But I can see why
that is stupid, for the reasons you state.

*checks code*

Are you sure you can't check the namelookup time after a failure? The code
does indeed look fine (lib/url.c around line 2142)

> Essentially we are interested in getting every timing up to the failure and
> it appears that cURL does not support reporting of timings for successful
> stages, either by event callbacks or by some other mechanism.

It does offer a number of different time stamps. Can you provide any test
cases/descriptions where they fail to report good times?

As I've said before, I am interested in adding code for generating events for
various stages. I've just not got any code and I haven't had time to add it
myself yet.