Re: Curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 12:38:09 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 27 Apr 2002, Cath :) wrote:

> I have a query about Curl - not sure if i have the proper address. Sorry if
> I don't. Basically the query is I have written a small application using
> libcurl which transfers files using HTTP. (Libcurl is installed with
> OpenSSL.)

I'd suggest that you post questions like this, and possible follow-ups to the
libcurl mailinglist, to which I CC this reply. You can subscribe to this
mailing list on this web page:

> The problem is curl writes some sort of checksum?? to the bottom of the
> files and I was wondering if you knew of a quick solution to remove this.

libcurl does not write any checksums, nor does it add any extra info or data
by itself. Instead, libcurl makes an effort to transfer the data exactly as
the remote server provides it.

If you get extra data at the end of a document, it ends up there because of
one (or more) out of three possible reasons:

1. There's a bug in libcurl that adds data. I don't consider this very likely
   since there are very many people using libcurl without this effect.

2. The server includes the data.

3. Your application makes this data get appended. I'd say that this is much
   more likely than anything else.

> I need to prevent it from even opening the file because as part of my
> project I also sign the files and as curl is editing the files, the
> signature check returns a negative response at the destination.

I suspect that you for example think that the data passed to your write
callback is zero terminated so when you write that data, you get garbage at
the end. Or something similar to this.

I think we'll have a bigger chance of helping out if you tell us which
libcurl version, on which operating system and possibly some small snippests
showing how you're using libcurl.

(Lately, I've been hanging out on IRC over at irc.openprojects.net too, so
popping in on the #curl channel could be another way to meet and talk.)