FTP Delete with libcurl

From: John Brayton <jb-curl_at_virtualsanity.com>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 17:48:26 -0400

[Sorry, a previous copy of this got sent prematurely.]

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I'm trying to delete a file via libcurl. The following is a very simple program to demonstrate how I'm doing this:

  int main(void)
  {
    CURL *curl;
    CURLcode res;

    curl_global_init(CURL_GLOBAL_DEFAULT);
    curl = curl_easy_init();
    if(curl) {
      curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, "ftp://user:pass@host/path");
      curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_QUOTE, "DELE filename");
      res = curl_easy_perform(curl);
      curl_easy_cleanup(curl);
      if(CURLE_OK != res) {
        /* we failed */
        fprintf(stderr, "curl replied: %d\n", res);
      }
    }
    curl_global_cleanup();
    return 0;
  }

When I compile and run this program, I reliably get a segmentation fault. However, the following command using cURL works as expected:

  curl -Q "DELE filename" ftp://user:pass@host/path

The segmentation fault occurs during curl_easy_perform. If I watch the TCP traffic, I get the following output (after password censorship):

  220 ProFTPD 1.2.0pre10 Server (ProFTPD Default Installation)
  [badass.eng.clearway.com]

  USER [username]

  331 Password required for [username].

  PASS [password]

  230 User netcon logged in.

  PWD

  257 "/home/netcon" is current directory

Is this something I am doing wrong, or is this a bug in libcurl? I'm running into this with both ftpd and ProFTPd servers.

System info:
-Mac OS X 10.1.4
-curl and libcurl 7.9.6

Thoughts? Any assistance would be appreciated.

John

the hardware. You get the recognition. Email Us: bandwidth_at_sourceforge.net