RE: HEAD not working when sent to IIS?

From: Russ Freeman <r_at_fatbird.com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 09:45:36 +0100

> The default behaviour of these optional requests(HEAD,PUT...) may vary
> with the
> web server.In most of the cases they are disabled
>
> In NES(Netscape Enterprise Server) i know of a bug in some versions
> where if you try to
> use HEAD against the default page it doesnt work and returns error.If
> you try a HEAD
> with the page specified it works
>
> HEAD / HTTP/1.1 - doesnt work
> HEAD /index.htm HTTP/1.1 works
>
> try specifying the page and see if it helps

Thanks for the reply.

I tried specifying the exact page but got the same response.

However, it occurred to me that the pages I'm trying are dynamically
generated pages (with SSI). I tried a few fixed pages (ZIP files) and got
working results.

A little experimentation with various sizes showed mised results for dynamic
pages but it seems IIS doesn't respond well at all.

This is okay *for me* because I'm only going to use the library for fixed
pages from known servers. Perhaps a note in the docs would be useful to
prevent this FAQ.

russ.

the hardware. You get the recognition. Email Us: bandwidth_at_sourceforge.net