Re: query regarding ftp://

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 11:46:03 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Vishal_garg wrote:

> I have a problem regarding retrieving a file through ftp:// using libcurl.
>
> I found that for all file names full path including username, password have
> to be used. Is it possible to pass username and password from outside
> without creating a security hole.

It depends on what you mean with "creating a security hole". FTP passes name
and password in plain text. That is insecure. It doesn't matter how you pass
them, they'll always be sent insecurely when using plain FTP.

> For example, suppose I want to retrieve file Capability.xml then the URL
> has to be the format of
> "ftp://username:password@hostname//export/../Capability.xml".

Either that, or you pass the name and password using CURLOPT_USERPWD.

> Also always got message for each file such as

> "SIZE Capability.xml
> < 500 'SIZE Capability.xml': command not understood."

That's because the server you're talking to doesn't understand the SIZE
command. You'll have to live with that. It might give you a little less
information, but it shouldn't stop you from getting the file transfered.

the hardware. You get the recognition. Email Us: bandwidth_at_sourceforge.net