Re: Bug in libcurl in multithreaded program

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:51:10 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Jacky Lam wrote:

> Can you try this patch to see any help?

Thanks for this!

I'm not so sure that this patch helps us much, because:

o It uses pthreads mutex calls, which makes the use limited for portable
  applications. The stuff it protects should also not need protection and
  thus the need itself actually identifies a problem. Removing the sympthoms
  of the problem may not be the right thing to do.

o Some calls seem to assume a IPv4 address in the Curl_addrinfo struct, which
  is badness because that will not always be the case.

o It is a bit too all-covering. If this patch removes the problem Avery is
  having, I wouldn't have many clues on what the problem is or what the fix
  would be in the main sources... Of course, if it would help, we know that
  it at least includes a fix for the problem and then we could focus on
  getting that fix identified.

This is just my opinion. Others may feel differently.