Re: Bug in libcurl in multithreaded program

From: Avery Fay <avery_fay_at_symantec.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:30:41 -0400

No, IIS doesn't serve FTP slower. Here's another setup that I ran yesterday
/ this morning.

Machine A is the client and dual boots between Windows 2000 and Linux.

Machine B is the server and runs Windows 2000 with IIS.

Machine A (running Windows with HTTP traffic) -> Machine B
Retrieved 536870912B in 58 seconds at a rate of 9256395B/s

Machine A (running Windows with FTP traffic) -> Machine B
Retrieved 536870912B in 3063 seconds at a rate of 175276B/s

Machine A (running Linux with HTTP traffic) -> Machine B
Retrieved 536870912B in 61 seconds at a rate of 8801162B/s

Machine A (running Linux with FTP traffic) -> Machine B
Retrieved 536870912B in 61 seconds at a rate of 8801162B/s

The other interesting thing. When I ran the test above using Windows and
HTTP traffic, the CPU usage was around %20. With FTP traffic it was %100,
so I don't think it has anything to do with the network. I would actually
be interested if anyone with a spare Windows machine and a spare Linux
machine could try my test program and see if they get similar results.

Avery Fay

| | Daniel Stenberg |
| | <daniel_at_haxx.se> |
| | |
| | 06/04/2002 03:57 |
| | PM |
| | |
  | Subject: Re: Bug in libcurl in multithreaded program |

On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Avery Fay wrote:

> On windows with an http url (server is localhost running IIS5):
>
> Retrieved 534768128B in 12 seconds at a rate of 44564010B/s
>
> On windows with an ftp url (server is localhost running IIS5):
>
> Retrieved 534768128B in 619 seconds at a rate of 863922B/s
>
> Also, I have tried the same test with IIS5 on a different machine and
> results are similar (but a lot slower since the program is limited by
100Mb
> ethernet).

The major parts of the source code involved when retrieving these files are
*identical* for both protocols. The HTTP code has some initial headers and
the FTP has an initial command-response phase, but the the actual file is
so
terribly huge and both protocols are downloaded using the *exact* same code
sequence.

Have you performed any other measurements using other tools on these
platforms? Can't it just be the fact that IIS serves FTP files a lot worse?

Can you try to use the Linux version to fetch the HTTP and FTP files off
the
IIS server and see if you can see any speed difference? I mean when used on
the local network.