RE: Small footprint libcurl

From: Miklos Nemeth <mnemeth_at_kfkisystems.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:14:18 -0700

> To make it smaller, add #infdef DISABLE_[PROTOCOL] lines at
> the appropriate places and then add #define
> DISABLE_[PROTOCOL] lines in lib/setup.h or something.
I did it but the gain is practically insignificant.
I built a 7.9.7 library and a statically linked SSL-enabled curl
executable for Windows (VC6)
and Linux (RedHat7) and here are the sizes (in kilobytes):

Windows (nmake -f Makefile.vc6 CFG=release-ssl) curl.exe:
Full 700; HTTP/HTTPS-only 675

Linux (configure --with-ssl --disable-shared)
Full 663; HTTP/HTTPS-only 588

I assume the same ratio could be got on other platforms as well.

My conclusion is that disabling protocols may not worth the
configuration trouble.

Now I know that if I really wanted a small footprint HTTP/SSL client
library
I should look somewhere else and definitly not using OpenSSL.
Fortunately, my current application does not require a really small
HTTP/SSL
library, therefore libcurl is perfect for me.

Thanks for your guidelines.

Miklos