Re: asynchronous dns for multi interface

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:39:32 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Steve Dekorte wrote:

> I'd like to get gnu adns working with the curl multi interface.

adns always seemed like an overly complex api for just getting names to
resolve asynchronously, but I'm not the one to judge.

The fact that the package is GPL also prevents me from using this within
libcurl. It is also IPv4-only.

> What's the best way to intercept the host look lookup? I'd like to do it in
> a way that's compatible with the curl's dns cache.

All name lookups are done with the Curl_resolv() function call.

But since we don't have asynch lookups today, we don't really have good
support for dealing with them either.

We should probably make a separate new state for the multi interface to deal
with name resolves, so that it can return back properly and continue on the
other easy handles while the DNS reply hasn't returned for that particular
handle's name resolve. It would require some minor rearranging of internals,
but I don't expect that to be very extensive.

                   Bringing you mounds of caffeinated joy