Re: Compiled libcurl for Mac OS X?

From: James Sentman <james_at_sentman.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 19:53:37 -0400

>On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, David Linker wrote:
>
> > Is a compiled version of libcurl available for Mac OS X? After reading the
>> difficulties of compiling, I would like to avoid that if possible.
>
>First a disclaimer: I'm not an OS X person really.
>
>I'm not sure how libcurl is compiled and linked in the default Mac OS X
>installations, but since curl is bundled with all recent Mac OS X versions
>there is a possibility it gets installed by default!
>
>The Fink project maintains an OS X'ified curl installation here:
>http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/curl but I don't know how they
>build or install the library.
>
>Last but not least: is it really that difficult to compile it on OS X?

No it's not difficult, I just did it last Friday;) The procedure was
identical to doing it on any other platform. Configure then make if I
recall correctly.

That being said, fink is easier. I just installed the latest curl-ssl
package on another OSX machine using that and it was very
straightforward. The only remotely strange thing I noticed was that
you have to open a fresh terminal window in order for it to pick up
the new binary in the path. Now, the XFree86 Darwin install via fink
did not go so transparently, but that's another story...

If you have trouble finding the fink stuff or getting it working feel
free to drop me a note off the list and I'll try to help.

Thanks,
  James