Re: lynx OK, http_post OK, cURL can't resolve

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 15:39:48 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002, Ray DeGennaro at Eaglerock IS wrote:

> >>curl 7.9.6 (hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20) libcurl 7.9.6 (OpenSSL 0.9.6c)
>
> I dl'ed 7.9.8, applied the patch and did a new build. I have the same
> problem. But, I did find one new piece of info.
>
> For "security reasons" this machine doesn't have access to any DNS servers.
> The only hostnames that are allowed are in /etc/hosts. I can access the
> remote site fine by IP, so I'm 90% sure it's not a problem with the setting
> between this machine and the remote machine. Also, although IP works for
> now, it won't work as a long term solution.

I don't think this additional information is what makes any difference. curl
uses the "standard" name-resolving functions and they somehow fail on HPUX
10.20 (Bill Shaver reported the same problem:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2002-08/0024.html).

I don't have access to any such machine myself so I have to rely on what you
can dig up or possibly if someone else joins in to help.

1. Does the name resolves fail on all attempts or are there some names and
   work and some that don't?

2. If you can, I'd like you fire up curl with a debugger and single-step
   through the Curl_getaddrinfo() function to see exactly where it bails out,
   and possibly check errno and stuff.

3. As a last resort, if all you want is running the curl tool (i.e not using
   the libcurl library in a separate application) you may want to rebuild
   curl without using the thread-safe functions:

   ./configure --disable-thread

   It'll then instead use another name resolve call (gethostbyname()) which
   should make things behave differently.

Good luck!