RE: m-post

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:28:36 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Bryan Weingarten wrote:

> The HTTP Extensions Framework (see
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/ietf-http-ext/draft-frystyk-http-extensions
> -03) defines a mechanism by which new HTTP headers can be introduced, and
> provides a new form of verb (M-XXXX), which mandates that certain headers
> be recognized and understood before processing a request for verb XXXX. By
> preferring M-POST as opposed to plain old POST, a client is making every
> possible effort to be up-front about its request. This allows filtering by
> firewalls based on well-defined HTTP extension headers.

Aha! Many thanks for the pointer and description. I was not aware of this
before.

> libcurl is a pretty flexable api, and easily allows you to add custom
> headers. so most of the M-XXXX extension can easily be added by just
> adding headers like you do now. the problem is that i don't see a way to
> customize the command/request line. there doesn't seem to be a way to
> change libcurl to stream out "M-POST" instead of "POST" and any differences
> in the format of the line. i think this is extremely important since it's
> being quickly adopted by the SOAP community and we won't be able to use
> libcurl to make soap requests. (or XMLRPC requests) to servers that require
> M-POST.

It can already be done (if I'm not misunderstanding things here). If you make
a regular post with CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS, you can set the request keyword to
whatever you like ("M-POST" for example) with CURLOPT_CUSTOMREQUEST. With the
headers given to CURLOPT_HTTPHEADER you should be able to custom design that
kinds of posts pretty much the way you like them.