Re: multi interface with non-blocking DNS lookup?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:08:18 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Hanno L. Kranzhoff wrote:

> I'm using the easy interface in a win32 environment for quite a while.
> The only back draw I see is the blocking during DNS resolution.
>
> I know there has been a lot of discussion on this topic. Would switching to
> the multi interface solve this "problem"?

No, as we don't have any non-blocking DNS lookup yet.

> I'm not sure as I'm already running all calls to libcurl in a separate
> thread (only one at a time) but don't see a way to end the thread safely
> when the DNS lookup takes place.

Nope, but you can ignore the thread and fire up a new one in the mean time,
allowing the "old" one to timeout in silence.

The work on a good DNS resolver for non-blocking lookups is work in progress
but won't be ready in time for curl 7.10.

We need help in that project (too). Especially on the Windows side, as I
don't believe any present project member is particularly good at the Windows
side of the world. More at http://libdenise.sourceforge.net/