Re: curl very slow compared to browsers

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 14:30:23 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Grant Hulbert wrote:

> >I've built curl 7.9.8 for Mac OS X, and notice that when I use it to
> >download web pages from my web server it's very slow compared to web
> >browsers. Is there some setting in the config that I've missed that
> >perhaps forces reverse name-lookups or something like that which would
> >explain 15-60 second lag times when using CURL compared to <1sec lag times
> >for IE?
>
> On a hunch, I rebuilt with --disable-ipv6, and that *seems* to be faster.
> Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) seems to add IPV6 support during the configure
> phase, and that was the only major difference I spotted from OS X 10.1
> Makefiles that were generated by configure.
>
> Does it make sense that this would slow down address resolution? I'm not
> familiar with IPV6.

No, it does not make sense.

I mean, asking for IPv6 info too is slightly more data, but there's no reason
for that to take any noticably longer time. I has been seen before in other
systems so Mac OS X is not the first to display this behavior...

Do you actually have IPv6 installed/running on your host?