RE: Cache in curl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:19:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Lorenzo Pastrana wrote:

> ... I was thinking about one thing we neglected before the release can be
> possible : the hack I introduced on Cookies management...
>
> I'm affraid this will be an issue when the Cache comes out : I allready
> hear the anxious "curl_easy_dumpcookies() function can't be found
> nowhere... Am I doing something wrong?" messages..
>
> What can we do about this?

Do you really need a cookie "flush" function to get the cache working?

> Is committing this micro-patch really a PITA?

No, committing a patch is in itself not very hard work.

BUT

I need documentation. Include file modification. Preferably a few example
sources. And then, all this for a function I would rather not have since it
duplicates the same functionality (is a subset of) the upcoming "share
system". Also, an added public function to a widely used library does't get
removed again very easily and certainly not very soon.

I would so much prefer to see this becoming the first kind of sharable data
in the share system and *tada* then you would be able to do this too. Yes,
that requires more code and a bigger patch, but that would be going in the
already preset direction.

Adding your function now would solve this problem for you. For me, it'll open
a can of worms.

> As a rather windowish coder I'm not so used to diffs practices &al.. what
> would you reccomend to avoid static linking?

I don't think I understand your question. To avoid static linking, can't you
use dynamic linking (shared/DLL/runtime or whatever name you pick)?

> Is the share policy usable at this time or will it be soon?

Code has been written, functionality has been added. It is not a complete
solution yet, and I don't know how much Sterling Hughes has back home that we
haven't seen here yet.

I don't see this happen for 7.10.