Re: Having difficulty with https

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 15:10:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002, Henry wrote:

> I've compiled libcurl and got the lib and dll and written a little console
> app to download a normal http site. However what I really want to do is
> https, i have followed the simplessl.c example got it to compile however
> the result of the easy_perform is 1 (unsupported protocol).

How did you build libcurl? You obviously didn't enable SSL in the build.

> Now i think i have just missed something fundamental out and need a few
> pointers here to get this to work, there isn't much documentation out there
> for this so i would happily write some when i work it out myself.

Using the root Makefile in the distribution archive, you're supposed to be
able to build libcurl with our without SSL support. Also check the
docs/INSTALL text for win32 builds.

> I don't know whether anyone has already tried to and there is probably a
> very good reason why, but is there anyway the whole https interface could
> be wrapped up a little more?

Wrapped up how?

> I will probs end up trying to wrap it up so if anyone knows anything wrong
> with my plan could they give me a few shoves in the right direction?

I don't think I understand what your "wrapping up" means.

> One more thing, what is the deal with me using libcurl? what i mean is, say
> i write an open source free proggie and in there somewhere libcurl is used,
> what license do i have to attach? do i have to put a link to the homepage
> in the progie? or anything else?

You are basicly not forced to do anything really. You may not remove the
copyright texts from the sources, but you don't have to even tell anyone that
you're using libcurl unless you want to. We of course like when people
mention they use libcurl, since it benefits us all. The more people see that
libcurl is used, the more people will use it and the more people that use it
the more stable and good it'll become.