Re: FTP: Automatic cd to user directory

From: Alejandro Escalante <alejandro_escalante_medina_at_yahoo.com.mx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:06:34 -0600 (CST)

Wow. I hadn't even heard of this double-slash feature. Thank you very much. Now I've to try if it works for me.
Bye,
Alex
 Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:On Fri, 1 Nov 2002, Alejandro Escalante wrote:

> I'd like to pose a question for experienced FTP users, though, not directly
> related to libcurl.
>
> Seems like Microsoft FTP servers does an automatic change of directory at
> logon to a directory below the root that has the same name as the login
> name, if this directory exists. I'd like to know of this is the case on all
> FTP servers, and if this behavior can be disabled, leaving the user at the
> root of the hierarchy.
>
> This has caused me some trouble with a project I've been developing with
> curl, since URLs are expressed in the form ftp://server/directory, if the
> server cd's me to another directory depending the user, this is is a
> problem.

This is very common indeed. I'd so far to say that almost every single FTP
server out there will behave like this.

Of course, the FTP URLs you use are normally adjusted to this (as they login
anonymously) and if you truly want a file relative the actual file system
root, you specify the file like:

ftp://server//directory

With double slashes, as this would then refer to '/directory' and not
'directory' within the user's home dir.