Re: libcurl (perl) and windows

From: Cris Bailiff <c.bailiff+curl_at_awayweb.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:27:09 +1100

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 08:42 pm, lupusdacicus wrote:
> > I have had success reports (and/or small tweaks) from a number of people.
>
> I've
> > never tried it myself.
>
> Do you happen to have these guys' email addresses ? I mean, maybe they
> could tell me more about how they did it.

The messages I have received are archived in the libcurl mailing list. As far
as I can tell, all have just used 'perl Makefile.PL', but they have needed to
complete the path to their installation of curl in Makefile.PL before they
started.

> > > I am using the free Active state
> > > Perl, the Nmake compiler.
> >
> > I'd be pretty sure Nmake isn't a compiler. Maybe you could be more
>
> specific?
>
> Nmake is a compiler, it is the Microsoft/windows version of the "make"
> utility that exists in Linux/unix, at least that is what I read/understood
> from the web.

If 'nmake' is a version of 'make', it's not a compiler. "make" is a tool which
works out which files need compiling, in what order, and then runs the actual
compiler on the right file. Your compiler would be called 'cc', 'gcc', 'cc1',
or something similar.

If your makefile tells make (nmake) the name of the wrong compiler, then
nothing will be compiled.

> > > I modified Makefile.pl to look for the perl exe and it goes fine.
> > >
> > > When I do (n)make it says:
>
> [.. ERROR .MESSAGE ]
>
> > You didn't say what you thought it should say. Whats wrong with this
> command?
>
> Well, I don't know exactly what it should say, it should say something
> similar with the "make" command from linux, I mean it should actually
> compile the curl library.
>
> > Why is it a problem for you?
>
> Because it ends with an error and I cannot actually get libcurl install.

Then you need to show us the error message, and probably all of the output.
The output you sent looks OK to me, if your compiler is called 'cl'.

...snip...

> > perl Makefile.PL CC=cc
>
> I did "perl Makefile.PL CC=make"
>
> (it says it cannot fin kernel32.lib, user32.lib,wsock32.lib, odbc32.lib,
> etc; it says "probably harmless").

Your C compiler is not called 'make', so 'CC=make' is definately wrong.

> and I got this error message from make:
>

> make -c -I -nologo -O1 -MD -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -D_CONSOLE -DNO_STRICT
> -DHAVE_DE S_FCRYPT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT -DPERL_IMPLICIT_SYS
> -DPERL_MSVCRT_READFIX - O1 -MD -DNDEBUG -DVERSION=\"1.35\"
> -DXS_VERSION=\"1.35\" -IC:\Perl\lib\ CORE -DHAVE_INTERNAL_VARS easy.c

'make' is not a compiler, and doesn't understand all these compiler options.
Set CC correctly, and (at least) this part should work OK.

> > Adjust as necessary. Also, I don't know what chances you take when mixing
> > compilers on your platform.

> Well, as i said, I have nmake uitily, which is the windows/microsoft's
> compiler. I know there are some people out there who are using libcurl
> with the perl interface for windows. I am wondering how did they do it ?
> Normally, on linuxs where everything goes fine you do:
>
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make install

'make' runs the compiler, but 'perl Makefile.PL' has an easier job on
unix/linux, because more files are in standard places, most development
systems will have a C compiler installed and most people don't have multiple
compilers on one system, so perl was probably built with the same compiler as
they have installed. I don't think this is as common on Windows.

> I finally maneged to get the first phase (although with warnings, because
> it cannot find those LIBs), but what am I supposed to do next ?? What
> "make" like utility/compiler shall I use and where should I get it from ?

You can use 'nmake', but you also need to know some details about your C
compiler (or install one if you haven't already), and tell make about them.

Cris