Re: libcurl on win infected by GPL?

From: Roth, Kevin P. <KPRoth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 08:36:49 -0500

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> The Makefile.m32 still refers to the file, so we probably need it to build
> fine with the mingw32 compiler.

Regarding mingw32:
I tried removing the 2 references to dllinit.c from the -pre4 version, and compared the dll before and after. It builds fine either way. Size-wise, they are identical. Content-wise, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of difference.

I don't have any projects handy that *link dynamically* against the DLL. But I did try building curl.exe (which statically links to libcurl.a) and it works just fine without dllinit.c.

I take this to mean dllinit.c is not necessary for mingw, and the 2 references in lib/Makefile.m32 could be removed. But since I'm no expert, and I didn't actually try linking against the dll, I wouldn't know what's actually different, if anything.

Thanks,
~ Kevin

p.s. - I don't subscribe to this list, so if anyone has any followup for me, please send it direct.