Re: libcurl / openssl error

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:17:37 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Moffet, Scott wrote:

(CC'ing the reply to the libcurl mailing list, which should be a better list
for libcurl details. Sorry it took a while to reply.)

> I'm having a strange error with libCurl in HP-UX 11.00, using OpenSSL
> 0.9.6g.
>
> I have my wrapper class in two projects. One is a standalone project and
> it works fine. The other is inside a server that uses OpenSSL for the
> inbound client connections, so the SSL_library_init() and such are in the
> main() function. The SSL descriptors that set the input method to TLS
> server occur inside threads.
>
> Then, from inside that thread, my wrapper class tries to post to a web
> page and gets an error, shutting down the connection. The VEBOSE output
> is:
>
> CUROPT_VEBOSE is set to TRUE
> * About to connect() to ah1hpux1.linkpoint.com:443
> * Connected to ah1hpux1.linkpoint.com (192.168.40.32) port 443
> * SSL: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)* Closing connection #0
>
> I put the errors into a text string and the text is:
> curl_errors = "SSL: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0)"
>
> libcURL SHOULD be using a seperate instance of OpenSSL, but is it possible
> that the client and server are colliding? This indicates SSL had no error
> ... any guess why it's shutting down the connection?

As you might've seen before, this sometimes happens and we don't know much
about why it does so and what to do about it. OpenSSL returns an error code,
but when asked about which error it says it is no error!

I guess we won't get a fully detailed answer until the day comes when someone
actually digs up the source code and single-step into the SSL jungle and see
what makes it think it fails but still not reports an error!

But yes, I think the theory goes that OpenSSL should work fine even if you
use it both as a server and as a client within the same program.

For really in-depth OpenSSL details and help, consider joining and asking
questions on a OpenSSL development mailing list. They're helpful and full of
clues over there.