HTTP PUT performance issues

From: <RBramante_at_on.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 13:29:10 -0500

Hi,

I am experiencing very poor performance for HTTP PUT requests. I have been
ignoring these because I have been testing with debug builds and was
assuming that was the cause but now I am testing release code and not
seeing much better results. I thought the problems may have been in my
code, but running a test with curl itself is giving the same exact results.

As an example:

Transfer a 1.6 MB from two machines (local lan)

Curl is consistently averaging ~16 seconds around 100k/sec

A simple Java app using HttpURLConnection is consistently transfering the
same file to the same server in ~2 seconds or less (~900k/sec).

A GET of the same exact file takes ~3 seconds (~495k/sec) from curl. The
java app is slightly faster but not by much (~600k/sec).

Needless to say, I was quite suprised by the PUT discrepancy. Any think I
can tweak to try and improve this? What other info would be of use in
debugging? This is with the win32 build. Thanks for any thoughts.

C:\dev\curl-7.9.8\bin>curl --upload-file c:/tmp/ccmagent.exe
http://devjunk:8080/jrsync/servlet/JRsyncServlet/$depot/da01e.051/1/ccmagent.exe
  % Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time
Curr. Dload Upload Total Current Left Speed
  100 1660k 0 611 100 1659k 36 99k 0:00:16 0:00:16 0:00:00
97867