RE: HTTP PUT performance issues

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:09:06 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 RBramante_at_on.com wrote:

> Why I am seeing this and why Daniel does not (my dummy app and curl perform
> the put in the same time) for him is not clear. Maybe it is windows
> specific? Maybe it is some bizarre interaction between curl and this
> specific webserver (tomcat)? Maybe several factors specific to my
> environment?
>
> I'm out of ideas. It would be interesting if some other people took my
> dummy app and ran it side by side with curl and see what the results are.

I can't say I have many ideas left either.

Anyway, I took my tests one step further and fired up 'nc' on another
computer that sits connected to mine on a 100mbit ethernet (another Linux
host, this one a Celeron 600MHz), to check that it wasn't something weird
going on just because I was working on localhost.

The test results turned out very similar to those I saw before, with the
exception that the speeds were reduced due to the limited bandwidth.

They all perform at roughly 11MB/sec, which should be just about maximum
speed on this.

So to summarize: I just can't understand or repeat the results you're
experiencing.