Re: libcurl tests for the test suite

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:19:52 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Sanjeev wrote:

> But, well i tried to debug it so that may be i will have an understanding
> of where exactly it was stopped, but unfortunately gdb denies the file
> format to recognize as a executable code. Though i could run test500/1/2/3,
> i couldn't debug them even!

> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> This GDB was configured as
> "i386-mandrake-linux"..."/mnt/usr/data/build/CURLCVS/build/curl/tests/libtest/lib504":
> not in executable format: File format not recognized
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> i also tried with 'gdb lib504' which failed even! But the make is
> successfull and when i type './lib504' it returned Pass URL as argument
> please.

Right, if you don't run configure with the --disable-shared option, you'll
get shell scripts using those names that when run invoke the proper program
with the correct variables set to load the proper library.

We should probably make 'runtests.pl -g' check if the tool to invoke is a
shell script, and then we should invoke it with libtool accordingly.

With --disable-shared you don't get that shell script trick. I use this
approach, as it also makes break-pointing etc easier.