Re: HTTPS certificates

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 17:35:36 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Henry wrote:

> I'm a novice programmer and SSL user however wish to write an app that uses
> the SSL feature in libcURL. I have the SimpleSSL.c and have compiled it and
> got it up and running, however at the moment i'm getting
> CURLE_SSL_CERTPROBLEM,/* 58 - problem with the local certificate */ .
> returned from the easy_perform. All the other functions of libcURL work
> fine so i know its just down to my lack of SSL knowledge. So if anyone
> could help me understand/direct how to generate:-
>
> 1) pCertFile

The times I've needed client certificates I've converted one from my browser.
Export a certificate. Then use openssl to convert it to PEM format.

> 2) pCACertFile

There's a CA cert bundle included with curl releases. That should do for most
signed server certificates. If the server uses a self-signed certificate you
need to get a CA cert from that somehow. I don't know how to do that.

> 3) pKeyName

You can get that the same way you get the client certificate.

> 4) pKeyType

You most likely use PEM as that's an open and frequently used format when you
play with OpenSSL.

> Also if anyone has any good SSL link that they think i'll benefit from
> reading i'll be gratefull.

Sorry, I'd recommend 'SSL and TLS' the (paper) book, by Rescoria. That's the
best resource on this subject I know of.