Re: libcurl having problem with a proxy

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd_at_debian.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:42:53 -0600

> On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > > I would appreciate if you could make a network trace and show us a
> > > working http request (only the GET and the associated headers) that for
> > > example wget issues that work with this proxy, and then another request
> > > trace for curl in the same manner (thus for a non-working case). It would
> > > give us a perfect comparison.
> >
> > Will do. I work off Cygwin/NT so wget is easy. I will try to find time to
> > build curl and construct an example. If you can help with pointers for how
> > to invoke wget [ i.e. exactly which options ] and curl [ idem ] it would
> > help.
>
> I don't know many wget options off the top of my head, but just get a single
> URL using both tools (i.e no need to make wget follow links and download
> multiple URLs etc) and record how the requests look.

Ok, it now looks very clearly as if curl is not at fault here. The curl
binary (as of Cygwin last updated a few weeks ago, curl version 7.10-1)
has no problem with the proxy when I use the
-U user:passwd -x
http:/some.proxy.com:1234 syntax.

I reported that bug in Oct. 2001 when I worked somewhere else, and they had
an inferior IT group. So Daniel was probably right all along -- a goofy proxy
at that place of work

--
According to the latest figures, 43% of all signatures are totally worthless.