FTP directory processing

From: Henke, Markus <Markus_Henke_at_ordat.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 17:59:11 +0100

Hello @all,

first of all let me express my compliment for the libcurl!
I've just begun to work with and it's not only a great fun
but also it seems that i could use libcurl to solve a serious
problem...

Original i wanted to start this posting with a fix for the
bug WRT reusing open connections in verbose mode,
but it seems it's already fixed in 7.10.3-pre...

So, what's left is just a couple of questions... =]

To make a long story short:
I want to programmaticly process directory structures
of FTP servers (using libcurl), including filesize, timestamp,
subdirectories.... Sounds like a great fun, but it intruduces
some topics...

- Is it possible to receive a somehow canonical or
  standardised directory listing?

- If not, it seems that even ftp daemons on the
  same platform produce different listings!?

- I know how to send FTP-commands (like SYST)
  using "CURLOPT_QUOTE" and to receive the server
  response using "CURLOPT_WRITEHEADER".
  But to send the command, i've to make a (virtually
  unnecessary) "curl_easy_perform" (unnecessary
  since i don't want anything else except the server
  response, e.g. "215 Windows_NT version 5.0").
  I'm missing something or is the "curl_easy_perform"
  defacto indispensable?
  More precise: Is there a way to do something
  similar to "CURLOPT_QUOTE" w/o a
  "curl_easy_perform"?

- By now i'm using CURLOPT_NOBODY to suppress
  the result of the above mentioned "curl_easy_perform",
  but i guess the response (e.g. a directory listing) is
  send over the network and only suppresssed in
  libcurl!?

- If all that doesn' work; any comments / suggestions
  how to process the various formats of directory listings?

So, that's all (heretofore... =)

Many thanx in advance & Ciao, Markus

Mit freundlichen Gruessen - Kind regards
Markus Henke

 ORDAT GmbH & Co. KG - Serversystems / eCom
 Dipl.-Inf. (FH) Markus Henke Fon: +49 (641) 7941-0
 Rathenaustr. 1 Fax: +49 (641) 7941-132
 35394 Gießen mailto:markus.henke_at_ordat.com
 See: http://www.ordat.com