static library for windows

From: Luther Baker <myc3p0_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:20:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I just downloaded Curl and its working fine ...

Now, I'd like to build an executable that does NOT
need to link to the Curl dll. IE, I want to run this
executable on reasonably - any PC at work.

From a Windows standpoint, I believe I need to build
the curl library as a static library - and my
executable can be built the same way. But for some
reason (visual studio 7.0), when I build the default
project, I get a libcurl.lib and libcurl.dll just
fine. But, when I switch one parameter and say
"Project Defaults >> Configuration Type = Static
Library (.lib)" instead of the original "Dynamic
Library (.dll)" the only thing that shows up in my
output directory are the object files. No libs at all.

Now, that wouldn't be the end of the world, if I knew
how to tell Visual Studio how to use find and link to
object files - but I'm having a hard time with that.

Suggestions? Microsoft documentation is really
ridiculous to look through and answer basic questions
like - HOW TO generate a static library ... or HOW TO
statically link to object files.

I believe "gcc -static `curl-config ...`" will do the
trick for my linux box ... but haven't tried it yet

Thanks in advance.

-Luther