Re: sftp, scp

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:36:03 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Andrew Francis wrote:

> > Additionally if anyone knows of a non-GPL sftp implementation, that might
> > speed the implementation, but perhaps not.
>
> PuTTY (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) is an
> SSH/SFTP/SCP/etc suite for Windows, with many elements (I believe a
> command-line ssh client, and a terminal emulator) ported across to Unix in
> the CVS tree. It's under an MIT license practically identical to libcurl's.

OpenSSH, the biggest free SSH (and tools) implementation is using "a BSD
licence, or a licence more free than that". (The particular wording here is
picked due to their mix of licenses for various parts of the package.)

So, I don't think we suffer any lack of SSH-implementations with liberal
licences that we could use to provide the SSH support.

I'm not aware if any of these packages have any particularly nice design to
allow us to use them in a library-like manner or similar.