Re: Mandrake 9.1 Cooker

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:11:15 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Tom Reader wrote:

> libcurl version: 7.10.3 (my program is statically linked to libcurl)
> platform: Mandrake 9.1 RC1 "Cooker"
>
> My simple libcurl application (which is running successfully on several
> different flavours of Linux) seems to have a problem running on Mandrake
> 9.1 RC1 "Cooker".
>
> Specifically, I get the following error:

[snip]

> Called from gethostbyname2_r
> Called from gaih_inet
> Called from getaddrinfo
> Called from Curl_getaddrinfo
> Called from Curl_resolv

[snip]

This shows that you have a libcurl build with IPv6 support, and when it tries
to resolve a name using getaddrinfo() it crashes.

This is not a known problem (to me at least).

What glibc version is this? Can you please set a break-point in
Curl_getaddrinfo() and make sure that all the input arguments to
getaddrinfo() looks valid (and possibly show them to us) just before it calls
the failing getaddrinfo?

> I should add that the Mandrake system is not mine, and I know little about
> it apart from what I have just read. For example, their web site states
> "Cooker is an experimental distribution, it's not for daily use!" -
> however, if there is a problem doing simple cURL operations on it, I guess
> someone is going to want to know?

Of course it all depends what is causing this.

A reasonable work-around might be to rebuild libcurl without IPv6 support, as
then it'll use gethostbyname_r() instead of getaddrinfo()...

> In this message: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/archive-2002-01/0159.html a
> similar problem was mentioned, yet I assume this patch is built into my
> version of libcurl (it seems to be, looking at the code).

Oh yes, that's an old bug that doesn't concern this (the patch there is even
for the gethostbyname_r() usage which your version doesn't use)...