Re: configure dilemmas -- need assistance!

From: tengel <tengel_at_sonic.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 09:40:08 -0800

Might I ask the prerequisite question: why did we upgrade to 2.57 (I presume from 2.54?), and what did it gain us?

Is it an option to downgrade to 2.54, and just wait on the autoconf team to get enough people angry at them they might change it? I've had to sit on numerous packages due to upgrades which were rather undesireable....

My $0.02US is that they should have provided a way to disable actual compile tests (AC_CHECK_ONLY or something), leaving the old header-only behaviour. It seems a little onerous for them to put that burden of knowing what includes what...

(As it is now, I already move configure.in out of the way for RPMS because the previous autoconf/autobuild reconfigure doesn't work on all RedHat's, including my build machine)

-te

--
Troy Engel
GPG KeyID: DF3D5207