Re: Asynch DNS

From: Bjorn Reese <breese_at_mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:45:36 +0000

codemastr wrote:

> would be many others who would like such a feature as well. The problem is,
> libdenise looks very promising, but, it seems to be at a very early state of
> development. They haven't even released a beta (or alpha) version. So

FYI, "they" are Daniel and yours truly.

> presumably, you would want to wait until libdenise is stable before you add
> it to libcurl. Then you would have to write all your code and wait till your
> code is stable. Since, looking at the libdenise CVS repository, there
> haven't been any changes made in the last 2 months, it would appear
> libdenise's completion is very far off. This would mean implementing it
> within libcurl would be even further off. Like I said, I'm sure this isn't
> something we'll see in the next few weeks, but I would hope it would be
> available say within a year. Using libdenise it doesn't look like that would
> be a reality.

Before we launched the libdenise project, we looked wide and
far for an acceptable (technically and license-wise) alternative,
but found none.

The current prototype of libdenise already resolves IPv4
addresses. It is still considered a prototype for two reasons:

 1. There are still aspects of the design that I am not
    entirely satisfied with.

 2. I do not believe in the first part of the "release early,
    release often" mantra. In my experience, a project has to
    offer substantial functionality before anybody will gather
    around. This is especially true for a DNS resolver, which
    most people expect to be fully operational before even
    considering it.

There has been no progress on libdenise for some time, mainly
because my sparetime is a limited resource these days. Whether
or not a stable version will be available within a year is
difficult to say.

If anybody is interested in contributing, please let us know.