libcurl vs neon for WebDAV?

From: David Boyce <dsb_at_world.std.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 18:47:44 -0500

In the last month or so I've started a project for a client-server
application. I chose HTTP as the transport for the usual reason (it's the
most standard, best-supported protocol out there and the application is
basically protocol-agnostic). Note: this is strictly an intranet app, so no
SSL. None of the bits that get passed around are for human consumption
either, so there's no HTML and no browser involved. I chose libcurl for the
client side and early tests using it have gone well. I'm quite impressed
with the code, the documentation, and the community (I particularly enjoy
Daniel's style, which is exactly the right mix of helpful and "you get what
you pay for").

Anyway, I've now started thinking I ought to use WebDAV. Originally I
hadn't known much about it and figured I'd handle the details myself, but
having now read up on WebDAV/DeltaV I think I shouldn't be reinventing that
particular wheel. Apparently, though, libcurl has no explicit support for
WebDAV. Digging a little further I found 'neon', a free (LGPL) WebDAV
library which also claims basic HTTP support. So, as far as I can tell,
this leaves me with the following choices:

1. Continue with libcurl and somehow coerce it into sending the proper
WebDAV methods. I assume there's an escape hatch whereby I can force
exactly the HTTP methods and headers I want, though I haven't found it yet.

2. Add neon to the mix, using libcurl for basic (GET,POST) HTTP and neon
for WebDAV.

3. Switch from libcurl to neon.

4. Use another library which does both (libwww?).

5. Forget WebDAV.

These options are more or less in order of preference. Has anyone been down
this particular road before and has wisdom to offer? Code snippets (e.g.
using libcurl for WebDAV or integrating it with neon) would be fine too.

Thanks,
David B