Re: libcurl vs neon for WebDAV?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:43:05 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, David Boyce wrote:

> this leaves me with the following choices:
>
> 1. Continue with libcurl and somehow coerce it into sending the proper
> WebDAV methods. I assume there's an escape hatch whereby I can force
> exactly the HTTP methods and headers I want, though I haven't found it yet.

Yes, you can make libcurl send whatever HTTP request you want, whatever
headers you want and whatever content you want.

I've personally wanted to see the neon WebDAV/XML-logic separated to be able
to put that ontop of libcurl for transport, but we haven't had *that* many
rainy days here yet for me to have had any time or energy to work on that.

> 2. Add neon to the mix, using libcurl for basic (GET,POST) HTTP and neon
> for WebDAV.

If HTTP and DAV is what you want, I'm not sure you'll get any added bonus by
keeping libcurl. Sure, some things libcurl does won't be offered by neon, but
the reversed is very much true too since neon does offer both HTTP and DAV...

I'm a subscriber to the neon mailing list as well, and while the list is far
from as busy as this, there seems to be an existing user base that are happy
with neon for HTTP and WebDAV.

> 4. Use another library which does both (libwww?).

I don't think libwww supports WebDAV.

> 5. Forget WebDAV.

Well, I can't tell you that. You need to figure out yourself if you need
plain HTTP or WebDAV.

I hope this helped.