CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_PROXY

From: Themmen, Joel <Joel.Themmen_at_naviplan.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 12:37:38 -0600

Hi,

        I am using the curl library for an application that runs under both
Windows and Unix (Solaris in this case). I am using version 7.10.2. I am
using curl to post XML to some well-defined (well - usually well-defined)
url. It works fantastic and I am very happy. I can deploy this on any number
of our internal Sun boxes (and Windows boxes) and the library (and some
wrapper code I wrote) executes as expected. We sent our app to someone else
and they cannot seem to connect to the URL.

        Some background:

        Assume the target URL is x.y.z

        From my computer (over a VPN) I can hit the target URL. From the
clients network, they hit the url with browsers and telnet and ping - etc.
However, when they try to use my app (and curl underneath) they get back the
CURLE_COULDNT_RESOLVE_PROXY error. Apparently, they have the curl library on
the same computer as the Url that they are trying to hit. It should work. It
has worked everywhere else for us.

        A few notes:

        They can ping the target url. They can telnet to the url. We can
post (from our location - via VPN) and hit the target URL.

        I do not ever set code to tell curl to use a proxy.
        The person at their has no root access to that box.
        The person at their has is not terribly Unix proficient (I am only
so-so).

        So - Why would curl report this error when I never suggest a proxy
should be used?

        What else could cause this error to surface?

        What am I missing? What did I do wrong? What did they do wrong?
Could it be permissions on that Sun box?

        Any and all help is appreciated,

Thanks,

Joel