Re: CURL and OpenVXI

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:54:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003, Tony Cheung wrote:

> As we know, cURL lacks the caching mechanisms as offered by libwww. For
> some applications, this kind of caching is essential.

I've always thought that this could be either fixed by the application layer
even before libcurl is used, or somehow fixed by some kind of hooks in
libcurl that allows the app-layer to provide the necessary stuff.

> I also think that the cookie support of cURL is rather limited without a
> full programmatic API support. This issue is still fine for me right now.

Others have mentioned this as well, and I usually respond: please tell me
what kind of API you miss, what it would do, how it would work etc. There's
no resistance against implementing something like that. It has been mentioned
in the TODO document for years.

> I am also looking for URI parsing capabilities as offered by libwww's
> HTParse module (http://www.w3.org/Library/src/HTParse). Specially I need to
> construct an absolute URL from a relative URL and a partial URL. I
> understand that URL parsing is not offered by cURL, but is there any
> suggestion for other URL parsing libraries? I do not want to use libwww
> just for its URL parsers.

I've read about other libraries for doing nothing but that, but now when I
tried to extract a few to mention in my reply here I couldn't find any... I
hope someone else on the list can enlighten us.

> Of course, cURL beats libwww for its simplicity, multi-threading support
> and most importantly an active development community. Thank you!

Thanks. It's only so good we make it. If there are weaknesses, let's fix
them.